bksys sequel

Nagy Thomas tnagy256 at yahoo.fr
Mon Jan 30 11:27:24 CET 2006

Hello,

I have spent some time working on adding several
useful features to scons. Here is a quick list of the
changes:
* fast rescan for incremental builds (developer
working on the project)
* kernel-like output and progress bar
* object-oriented target declaration
* builddir set by default and with no effort
* find source files intelligently (glob) to ease
script maintainance (in the kdissert archive,
src/kdissert/sconscript)
* customizable command-line parsing
* tight control over the scheduler (not all links at
the same time, etc)

So far it is a success, the unit tests show that on a
simulation rescanning a couple of thousands of files
does not take more than a few seconds (unit tests and
simulation are in the archive). There are some broken
things at the very moment (compatibility with python
1.5.2, parallel builds, command-line, many tools, ..),
but a mid-sized project like kdissert can already use
that code.

The files are heavy, so they are available from a
website for now:
http://freehackers.org/~tnagy/waf-0.6.6.tar.bz2
http://freehackers.org/~tnagy/kdissert-1.0.5-waf.tar.bz2

The goal is clearly to make a complete build system
for any kind of project, and not a KDE-only solution.
For now the bksys sequel is codenamed 'waf' (short
name that may lead to nice jokes).

--

I do not have a home internet connection at the moment
(3 weeks to go) so i cannot commit my changes to KDE

Regards,
Thomas Nagy

/* Thomas Nagy */