how to find kde4 executables ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Feb 28 20:16:46 CET 2006

Hi,

now that kdelibs/ compile with cmake, we can give other modules a try, first
kdebase.

On my system there are now e.g. two dcopidl2cpp executables, one
in /opt/kde/bin/ and one in /opt/kde4/bin/ .

$ /opt/kde4/bin/kde-config --path exe
/home/alex/.kde/bin/:/opt/kde/bin/:/opt/kde4/bin/

So, kde-config doesn't really help much here. If I use the paths it tells me,
I will find /opt/kde/bin/dcopidl2cpp, instead of /opt/kde4/bin/dcopidl2cpp.

$ unset KDEDIR
$ /opt/kde4/bin/kde-config --path exe
/home/alex/.kde/bin/:/opt/kde4/bin/

This would help, /opt/kde4/bin/dcopidl2cpp would be found. But then kde-config
wouldn't have been found before.

$ export KDEDIR=/opt/kde4/
$ /opt/kde4/bin/kde-config --path exe
/home/alex/.kde/bin/:/opt/kde4/bin/

This would work, kde-config will be found, and later on the correct
dcopidl2cpp will be found.

Another option would be to just check the directory where kde-config was found
as the first directory to check for dcopidl2cpp.

So, I am not clear how to find the correct executables. The option with
setting KDEDIR to the install location of kdelibs4 seems like the best idea
to me.

What do you think ?

Bye