debug libs (Re: KDE/kdelibs/cmake/modules)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Feb 28 20:04:27 CET 2006

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 19:37, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 February 2006 19:23, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > SVN commit 514550 by neundorf:
> >
> > -set CMAKE_DEBUG_POSTFIX to "_debug", this has the effect that when doing
> > a debug build e.g. kdecore will be named "libkdecore_debug.so"
>
> Hmm. Hmm. Do we really want that, on unix?

Well, I don't know. I thought it would be a good idea since Qt does it this
way.

> I can't understand why Qt4 went that route, but IMHO not being able to
> replace release libs by debug libs (without relinking all kde apps) is a
> real problem.
>
> Imagine: kword crashes in KActionMenu; if my kdelibs wasn't compiled with
> debug I would reconfigure it with debug and recompile it. But this doesn't
> help since kword is still linking to kdecore instead of kdecore_debug, so
> now I need to recompile koffice as well?

Well, let's say you have both libkdecore.so and libkdecore_debug.so available
when compiling koffice.
If you are doing a debug build of koffice it will link to libkdecore_debug.so,
if you are doing a release build it will link to libkdecore.so.
( i.e. this is what I intended to do, we can do it also differently).
Problem here: kdelibs cannot be compiled in both versions at once with
makefiles, it might be possible with XCode and Visual Studio.
In cmake this would look like this:

target_link_libraries(kword optimized kdecore debug kdecore_debug)
or better:
target_link_libraries(kword ${KDE4_KDECORE_LIBRARIES})

So, if you think having different names for the release/debug version is ok,
I'll leave it as it is now, if you think it is better to use the same name
for both, it's also ok with me.

Bye