dashboard errors on linux

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sun Dec 31 12:19:20 CET 2006

On Sunday 31 December 2006 11:34, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Sunday 31 December 2006 01:18, you wrote:
> > Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > >
> > >So Qt 4.2.1 isn't good enough anymore ?
> >
> > It's never been. You should always apply the patches.
>
> So we require tracking qt-copy which requires a lot of time to recompile it
> correctly (at least on my system svn up; make; doesn't work, it doesn't
> seem to rebuild everything it should, I always do a fresh build), but we
> cannot require our developers to update cmake more often than 6 months
> after the version has been released ?

I for one would have no problem with it. It would be even more convenient if I
could use svn, just like with qt-copy.

> Can this please at least be announced when qt-copy is required ?
> I really thought Qt >= 4.2.0 would be good enough.

Let me just repeat what Thiago said, because it is otherwise very clear:
qt-copy has been the reference for building KDE from CVS/SVN since the day it
was introduced (7 years ago, btw). The whole point of qt-copy nowadays is to
be able to quickly distribute critical hotfixes to Qt by applying them to
qt-copy, so that developers just have to update from there instead of
downloading a tarball and applying patches.

Now it may happen that very often (i.e. most of the time) KDE builds and runs
with the latest Qt release, but that is simply not guaranteed, and it has
never been. However if somebody breaks building KDE with qt-copy he/she can
for sure expect a red card from Coolo :)

As we do not release qt-copy tarballs with our source releases my
interpretation is that official KDE releases do not require qt-copy but the
documented Qt release (documented in the requirements page
(http://www.kde.org/info/requirements/).

> This is at least for me a major problem, the maybe two hours I have
> everyday would be completely used up by recompiling Qt.
> Either I fix some problem, or I spend the time recompiling Qt :-/

You have to do a fresh build when qt-copy gets updated to a whole new Qt
version, but when small fixes (like Thiago's) are applied it is enough to
rebuild incrementally. And even then you don't have to do that every day. Not
every fix happens to affect the build system like unfortunately the last one.

Is this really a major problem for you?

> I also can remember some posts or blogs like "the new kubuntu is an ideal
> KDE4 development platform since it comes with Qt 4.something and cmake
> 2.4.3" and the same for SUSE 10.2. So this is void already again ?

At the moment yes.

Simon