dashboard errors on linux

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Dec 31 16:24:39 CET 2006

On Sunday 31 December 2006 12:19, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> You have to do a fresh build when qt-copy gets updated to a whole new Qt
> version, but when small fixes (like Thiago's) are applied it is enough to
> rebuild incrementally. And even then you don't have to do that every day.
> Not every fix happens to affect the build system like unfortunately the
> last one.
>
> Is this really a major problem for you?

It would be a big help if it would be at least announced when qt-copy or Qt
has to be updated.
As it is now somebody just notices that something doesn't work anymore, and to
make sure everything gets rebuilt correctly does a complete fresh build of
Qt, which takes a lot of time and might cause everything else to be rebuilt
too.
That's also the reason why Bill stopped doing nightly builds of kdelibs, and
apparently also the reason why the build on curie.tu-wien is still broken.

On the practical side, it would help a lot if I would have access to a box
which can use a compile cluster.

> > I also can remember some posts or blogs like "the new kubuntu is an ideal
> > KDE4 development platform since it comes with Qt 4.something and cmake
> > 2.4.3" and the same for SUSE 10.2. So this is void already again ?
>
> At the moment yes.

This is IMO a problem and also sounds different than what Thiago wrote. We
need to get KDE4 out 2007 and making it harder to develop for it doesn't help
in this regard.

Bye