Cannot compile kdelibs4_snapshot

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Apr 11 15:41:30 CEST 2006

Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 10:48, Andras Mantia wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>> I experience an error when compiling the snapshot. I saw similar
>>errors in the past that gone away when cleaning the svn source. Now
>>with a cleaned source dir and a new build dir, I get the following
>>error: -- Build files have been written to:
>>/data2/kde4/build/kdelibs4_snapshot make[2]: *** No rule to make
>>target
>>`../../../../data/development/sources/kde-trunk/kdelibs4_snapshot/dco
>>p/dcopstub.cpp', needed by
>>`dcop/CMakeFiles/DCOP.dir/depend.make.mark'.  Stop. make[1]: ***
>>[dcop/CMakeFiles/DCOP.dir/all] Error 2
>>make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>>CMake is:
>>cmake version 2.3-20060317
>

> Ok, seems to be a cmake error when dealing with symlinks.
> I have the following two partitions:
> /dev/sda2 on /media/extra/data type reiserfs (rw)
> /dev/hda8 on /data type reiserfs (rw)
>
> I also have a link from /data2 to /media/extra/data so I can
> access /dev/sda2 more easily.
> The sources are on /dev/hda8 (/data), while the build directory is
> on /dev/sda2 (/media/extra/data) as that is an "extra" hard disk with
> more free space.
>
> If I run cmake and make from /data2/kde4/build/kdelibs4_snapshot I get
> the above error.
>
> If I run cmake and make from /media/extra/data/data/kde4/build I get no
> error.
> As you can see they are the same folders, accessed by different ways.

This was fixed in CMake CVS on 2006-03-30.  It no longer attempts to use
relative paths between the source and build trees.  Relative paths are
only safe between directories both contained in the source tree or both
contained in the build tree.  The basic problem is that some tools treat
".." with respect to the current logical working directory and others
lookup the directory entry on disk.

-Brad