[Kde-bindings] Smoke: Where is QString?

Arno Rehn arno at arnorehn.de
Sat Mar 9 00:33:15 UTC 2013

On 08/03/13 23:42, Chris Burel wrote:
> I wrote
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Smoke/API_Documentation a few
> years ago, but I think it is still relevant, and a good place to start for
> people new to smoke.
Yep, this documents the API quite nicely.
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Smoke also has a more
complete example that illustrates how to create a simple application
with SMOKE.

> QString is not included, because the thought is that any QString instance
> would be marshalled to whatever string class is native to the target
> language.  So, if you were in Perl, you'd never make a QString instance
> directly.  Instead, you'd pass a native Perl string to a method expecting a
> QString, and the bindings would take care of converting that to a QString.
I'm actually considering adding QString back in. That wouldn't prevent
marshalling, but languages without proper string classes can still make
use of QString (thinking of the QtLua bindings here, which had some
hacks in place to get QString back).