[Kde-bindings] Getting started with qyoto?

Peter Hultqvist phq at silentorbit.com
Tue Feb 12 16:54:09 UTC 2013

I'm sending a BCC to vronskji which was the contact address of the main
page but not the tutorial itself.

Great, as I said before I'm running on Ubuntu 12.10.
Following the tutorial at http://zetcode.com/gui/csharpqyoto/introduction/
under the "Building Qyoto on Linux" header.

First weird observation is that the commands are written out before the
text describing the action.
Suggestion: Move the "We download the sources..." before the list of git
clone commands.
Suggestion: Move the "We install the cmake-qt-gui...." before the line
above.

The package cmake-qt-gui does not have the executable cmake-qt-gui
rather it is called cmake-gui. This might be specific to ubuntu but if not:
Suggestion: change:
- We run the cmake-qt-gui in each
+We run the cmake-gui in each

So far I have gotten to the part about running the cmake-gui in each
directory, although I'm still early at the first one, smokegen.
Personally I rather get instructions in form of non gui commands because
such instructions can be more exact.
Suggestion: if possible change instructions from the cmake-gui to cmake

So the cmake-gui command is run from within the (currently)  smokegen
directory.
So what are the source and build directories? are they both the current
directory(smokegen) or some subdirectory therein, or perhaps the build
directory should be a fresh folder outside of the source tree.
Suggestion: specify what the source and build directories should be
relative to the current directory(smokegen)

Thanks for git I managed to reset the cmake cache files to start fresh
again, perhaps there is need for an instuction on how to restart.
Suggestion: inform about the option File-DeleteCache (assuming that is
the same)

So even if I didn't know the answer above I did set the source to the
root of the smokegen(./) clone and build to ../build.

The tutorial continues "... and set the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE to Release"
To me this looks like an environment variable but the gui has something
called "Add Entry".
Suggestion: Clarify if setting CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE is supposed to be done
using the "Add Entry"

Now it is time for me to click the Configure button which brings me up
with a dialog.
First I have to choose a generator from a drop down: Ninja(selected by
default), Unix makefiles, CodeBlocks(Ninja).... and so on
Suggestion: specify what generator to use.
Further in the same dialog below the dropdown there are 4 options where
the "Use default native compilers" is selected
Suggestion: specify what should be selected here(even if the default one)

I left the current state which was Ninja and "use default native
compilers" and clicked finish.
Now I did not have time to click the Generate button, immediately after
I clicked the finish button some output/error messages appear with a
final message dialog saying "Error in configuration process, project
files may be invalid"
The first line in the error messages is: "...cmake was unable to find a
build program corresponding to "Ninja". ...."

Problem now is that I cannot click configure again and change from Ninja
to anything else since that is not happening anymore.
Every time I click the Configuration button the same process starts as
when I clicked finish in the dialog before.
Help: how should I go back the dialog and change from ninja?

Here I get stuck in the process and since I'm supposed to compile the
tools in order I won't continue to the next.

Over to another issue. Reading the smokegen README they have a
completely different set of instructions.
Suggestion: if smokegen has changed the way it is being built it should
be reflected in the tutorial.

Assuming the instructions in the git clone of smokegen are more up to
date I'll try them.

    Regenerating
    ============

    For SmokeQt:
     cd qt
     ./qtguess.pl
     ./generate.pl
     make

These instructions has a few problems:
1. There is no qt directory
2. There is no qtguess.pl, tried "find|grep guess"
3. there is no generate.pl
4. Actually there is no .pl files at all within the smokegen tree
4b. Actually there is no .pl files at all within any of the sources I cloned

OK, while at it back to the tutorial on the website.

Same observation as noted before, the descriptive text is below the
shown command as if they were image captions, this really confuses me
and I have never seen that layout anywhere else.
Suggestion: move "$ export LD_LIbrary..." below the text talking about it
Suggestion: move the "$ ls /usr...." below the text below talking about it.

I hope this is the official reference on how to build the tools I'm
commenting if not I rather go by that.