[Kde-bindings] Re: Qyoto

Richard Dale richard.dale at telefonica.net
Fri Oct 15 20:41:48 UTC 2010

On Friday, October 15, 2010 09:14:27 pm James Mansion wrote:
> Richard Dale wrote:
> > Neither of us 'do Windows' and so the project really needs some kind of
> > 'Windows heavy lifter' to handle the Windows porting and bug fixing that
> > a lot of people are requesting.
>
> I'm not sure I'd be able to help since I'm having more than enough
> trouble finding
> time for my own projects, but I'd note that an initial hurdle would be
> to make it
> more apparent that 'the Qyoto team' is actually welcoming of those of
> who with
> no particular interest in KDE (as distinct from an interest in
> delivering too platforms
> that Qt supports).
I have no problem with bindings users being mostly interested in just Qt, it
is just a fact of life. The same applies with the QtRuby bindings as for
Qyoto, although we do have KDE Ruby users, we don't have any KDE C# bindings
users whatsoever as far as I know.

> I certainly haven't had that impression from Arno, though it might be
> that a raw 'I don't
> care about what you care about' is just not welcoming.  As a project, it
> doesn't reach
> out to Windows devs.
Arno has a Windows install on his machine and has done quite a bit of work in
getting Qyoto ported. However, I don't think he has had much help in getting
it done. For Linux guys like Arno or myself, every hour you spend getting some
weird Windows or Mac OS X problem solved, is an hour less spent on doing
something worthwhile that we enjoy on the Linux main branch of the project. If
the overwhelming majority of the Qyoto Windows users expect to have everything
do for them, then we just can't cope with the work and don't want to cope
either.

> Where would a Windows effort place documentation and discussion?
It could be on the kde-bindings list or it could be on CodePlex, or maybe the
Mono guys would help. I think the Qyoto bindings need to become less KDE-
centric, but I don't quite know what we need to do.

> Would it be feasible to have a presence on CodePlex, for example?  Or
> CodeProject?
Is it possible to use git in CodePlex? If so then I would be quite happy to
have a clone of Qyoto there and we could push changes between the two
projects. Similarly Ruby guys prefer using git in github and if the qtbindings
Ruby bindings project on github was a clone of the qtruby project in the kde
git repo we could do the same thing. But the fact we won't be able to move to
kde git in a reasonable timescale (ie by KDE 4.6) is preventing anything like
that from getting started.