[Kde-bindings] Re: Qyoto

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Fri Oct 15 20:47:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:14 PM, James Mansion
<james at mansionfamily.plus.com> wrote:
> Richard Dale wrote:
>> Neither of us 'do Windows' and so the project really needs some kind of
>> 'Windows heavy lifter' to handle the Windows porting and bug fixing that a lot
>> of people are requesting.
>>

> I'm not sure I'd be able to help since I'm having more than enough
> trouble finding
> time for my own projects, but I'd note that an initial hurdle would be
> to make it
> more apparent that 'the Qyoto team' is actually welcoming of those of
> who with
> no particular interest in KDE (as distinct from an interest in
> delivering too platforms
> that Qt supports).
>
> I certainly haven't had that impression from Arno, though it might be
> that a raw 'I don't
> care about what you care about' is just not welcoming.  As a project, it
> doesn't reach
> out to Windows devs.

I tried to build Qyoto about 4 months ago with Visual C++ 2010 and
there were a myriad of errors. I have not tried since then, though,
but back then it seemed like Smoke would need quite some love for
VC++.

> Where would a Windows effort place documentation and discussion?
>
> Would it be feasible to have a presence on CodePlex, for example?  Or
> CodeProject?

Publishing an article on CodeProject could certainly attract Windows
developers.

I think this list is the right place for Windows development of
bindings and Qyoto in particular. In case the number of e-mails about
Qyoto increases dramatically, we can ask for a spin-off of the list
and have a mailing list dedicated to Qyoto. Also, some forum for Qyoto
users (not developers working on Qyoto but developers developing
applications with Qyoto) would be useful.

A while ago someone (Richard?) talked about splitting kdebindings
releases in two releases: one for the Qt-only "half", one for the KDE
"half". IMHO this is a very good idea: many people as not using
QtRuby, Qyoto, etc because they lag behing the official release and
they get the impression the Qt bindings are unmaintained, while they
are just on a different release cycle.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org