[Kde-bindings] Compiling smoke on Windows

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Sun Jan 31 09:27:17 UTC 2010

Hi Elliott,

Quoting Elliott Slaughter (elliottslaughter at gmail.com):
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Chris Burel <chrisburel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What are you trying to accomplish?  Just compiling Smoke by itself
> > won't get you much, unless you're writing bindings that use the Smoke
> > library.  If that's the case, I'd try following the directions in the
> > file CMakeLists.txt.qtruby.
[...]

The approach from CMakeLists.txt.qtruby looks interesting, but still
requires users to copy files around, in particular files from kdelibs
which someone working with just a kdebindings checkout would have to
hunt down first.

> I want to try CommonQt (Qt bindings for Common Lisp), which depends on
> Smoke 2. I'm really not interested in building (or installing) the
> rest of KDE, so

As a side note, since you are referring to "Smoke 2" here, both CommonQt
and Tobias' cl-smoke depend on the smoke with the SO version 3 now
(perhaps better referred to as "the smoke from KDE 4.4"?).

The CommonQt documentation is unfortunately out of date on this (but
then it's rather out of date in general...).

> it sounds like that build method would be the right thing for me. I'll try
> it out and see how far I get.

I don't know what the "right" way is.

My approach is to comment out everything related to KDE in the
CMakeLists.txt like this:
  http://www.lichteblau.com/tmp/kdebindings-without-kde.diff
Afterwards I run make in the generator and smoke/smoke* directories.

The README says
  # Compile smokeqt but not smokekde
  cmake -DENABLE_SMOKE=on -DENABLE_KDE_SMOKE=off .
I think at the moment that doesn't mean you get to run cmake without
having at least some kde-related files around, although it would nice if
it did.

d.