[Kde-bindings] Compiling smoke on Windows

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 10:34:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:27 AM, David Lichteblau <david at lichteblau.com>wrote:

> Hi Elliott,
>
> Quoting Elliott Slaughter (elliottslaughter at gmail.com):
> > On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Chris Burel <chrisburel at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > What are you trying to accomplish?  Just compiling Smoke by itself
> > > won't get you much, unless you're writing bindings that use the Smoke
> > > library.  If that's the case, I'd try following the directions in the
> > > file CMakeLists.txt.qtruby.
> [...]
>
> The approach from CMakeLists.txt.qtruby looks interesting, but still
> requires users to copy files around, in particular files from kdelibs
> which someone working with just a kdebindings checkout would have to
> hunt down first.

[...]

> it sounds like that build method would be the right thing for me. I'll try
> > it out and see how far I get.
>
> I don't know what the "right" way is.
>
> My approach is to comment out everything related to KDE in the
> CMakeLists.txt like this:
>  http://www.lichteblau.com/tmp/kdebindings-without-kde.diff
> Afterwards I run make in the generator and smoke/smoke* directories.
>
> The README says
>  # Compile smokeqt but not smokekde
>  cmake -DENABLE_SMOKE=on -DENABLE_KDE_SMOKE=off .
> I think at the moment that doesn't mean you get to run cmake without
> having at least some kde-related files around, although it would nice if
> it did.

Thanks for helping out.

I tried both you method and the one based on QtRuby, and both basically got
me to the same place.

With both methods, I noticed that I needed to copy over the
HandleImportedTargetsInCMakeRequiredLibraries.cmake file from kdebindings in
addition to what I had already copied. I also had to fix up David's patch a
bit because it didn't apply cleanly to SVN HEAD.

After that, running cmake produced the following error:

CMake Error at smoke/qt/QtGuess.txt:134 (list):
  list sub-command REMOVE_ITEM requires two or more arguments.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  smoke/qt/CMakeLists.txt:13 (include)

Naively hoping that this error was not important, I commented out the
offending line and proceeded anyway. The configuration completed
successfully, but upon attempting to generate the smoke bindings I got the
following error:

[ 28%] Generating smokedata.cpp, x_1.cpp, x_2.cpp, x_3.cpp, x_4.cpp,
x_5.cpp, x_6.cpp, x_7.cpp, x_8.cpp, x_9.cpp, x_10.cpp, x_11.cpp, x_12.cpp,
x_13.cpp, x_14.cpp, x_15.cpp, x_16.cpp, x_17.cpp, x_18.cpp, x_19.cpp,
x_20.cpp
make[2]: *** [smoke/qt/smokedata.cpp] Error 57
make[1]: *** [smoke/qt/CMakeFiles/smokeqt.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

And the following text appeared in a pop window:

generator.exe - Entry Point Not Found: The procedure entry point
_Z11qt_assert_xPKcS0_S0_i could not be locate in the dynamic link library
QtCore4.dll.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of that.

Thanks again for all the help.

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to predict
the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay