[Kde-bindings] Confusion korundum OR smoke generated (KDE 4.4)

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Tue Jan 26 14:12:43 UTC 2010

On Monday 25 January 2010 09:12:42 pm Robert Riemann wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> it would be nice if someone could post some information related
> to the changes of the ruby bindings coming in kde 4.4 in the techbase wiki.
>

> Some interesting questions:
>
> - When I use require 'korundum4' - what do I use? smoke generated
> bindings or the old ones (korundum)
You can still use require 'korundum4', the difference is that instead of all
the KDE classes being in a single libsmokekde library they are now split up
into individual libraries, one for each underlying C++ library. For example,
there are now libsmokekdecore, libsmokekdeui and libsmokekio Smoke libraries
that are all loaded by the korundum4 Ruby extension.

The original plan was to split up the Ruby extensions to correspond to the
smaller Smoke libs for KDE 4.4, but there wasn't time and it will have to wait
until KDE 4.5 now.

> - I heard it is possible to deliver the bindings with the own ruy
> project. How can I do that?
Yes, it should be easier to generate Smoke libraries and Ruby extensions for
you own C++ classes now. We have a much better Smoke bindings generator, and
Ruby extensions are fairly simple - I have a simple script I hacked together
to do that. An explanation of how to do this would be something that would be
really useful on TechBase.

> - Are there any differences between smoke generated and old bindings
> (included classes, speed, etc)?
The idea was to speed things up be making the Smoke classes and Ruby
extensions both map onto single C++ libraries. We had time to do that for the
Smoke libraries for KDE 4.4, but didn't have time to split up the Ruby
extensions. So we won't be able to see any speed increases until the Ruby
extensions are more modular and you will be able to only load the ones you
need.

> - Does it also work an a mac or on WxxxxxS ? What is with interoperability?
The new Smoke libraries should build on Windows and the Mac, and it may be
easier than before. I'm not sure what you mean with the question about
interoperability.

> - Which Ruby versions are supported/recommended
QtRuby/Korundum work with both Ruby 1.8.x and 1.9.x. We need to sort out the
cmake support to detect and build with Ruby 1.9 though. People have sent
patches to do it, and we should fix the cmake scripts for KDE asap.

> Hope someone can answer some questions? If there is need of drive some
> basic tests on linux, i can help you.
Yes, that sounds a good idea. I recently got the QtText Ruby extension working
reasonably well, and maybe we could use that for some tests.

> Maybe we can answer the questions on the list and can update the wiki
> together...
Yes, I can help with that perhaps.

-- Richard