[Kde-bindings] Stability of Qyoto and QyotoDevelop?

IBBoard ibboard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 19:48:20 UTC 2010

On 19/01/10 19:35, James Mansion wrote:
> Arno Rehn wrote:
>> Well, they can do that by hacking the code as well. If you install the .ui
>> files system-wide, they can't edit them without root privileges anyway.
>>
> Doesn't it make sense to install them as resources?

I did wonder whether I could do loading from compiled resources rather
than .ui files on disk, but the uics was working okay (other than the
slightly silly namespaces for a .Net environment) and I'd about worked
out the best way to use the pre-compiled code (which is a bit different
to most UI toolkits I've used).

> I can't help feeling that the long period with the dormant qyoto web
> site is going to take
> a lot of effort to overcome.

That was part of the reason I asked here - the various websites are all
quite dormant, but there had been a few commits, so I didn't know what
the status was.

> Perhaps generating interest in the .Net (rather than Mono) community at
> large would be a
> good place to start.  Its a big target, and I suspect quite a soft one
> given the relative merits
> of QT 4.6 and WinForms. It might not be your target market in terms of
> supporting KDE
> development, but it has the potential to raise the profile and generate
> some momentum.
>
> But it will require that the dev process is straightforward on a
> Windows-only platform
> without cygwin etc - is that the case at the moment?

Presumably including something like QyotoDevelop ;) MonoDevelop now
supports Windows, as of v2.2, so even if integration with VS.Net is
difficult (and probably more of a moving target) then developers could
potentially have some tooling for MonoDevelop on Windows at the least.

Distinction between Qt and KDE would be appreciated in Gnome as well as
Windows, though. I don't know if it is just lazy packagers over defining
requirements, but I've hit a couple of installs that pull in lots of
core bits of KDE just to get Qyoto.