[Kde-bindings] How to properly install new generator?

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Mon Feb 1 19:22:10 UTC 2010

On Monday 01 February 2010 07:04:11 pm Arno Rehn wrote:
> On Monday 01 February 2010 12:45:09 Richard Dale wrote:
> > >
> > > It's not yet intended to be installed.
> >
> > Well I think it's quite important that we install it for KDE 4.4 because
> > for KDE 4.5 we want to encourage everyone to create smoke libraries in
> > their own KDE svn modules. If we don't install the generator that will
> > make that plan more complicated.
> >
> > If we want to install it I think it needs a more distinctive name that
> > 'generator'. For example:
> >
> > kgenerator
> > smokegen
> > smokegenerator
> > smokeapigen
>
> Maybe something like kwrappergenerator?
Well we've never used the word 'wrapper' in anything we've done before. Maybe
'kbindingsgenerator'.

> I don't really want to have "smoke"
>  in the name, but something more distinctive than only "generator".
I've no idea why you don't want to use the name 'smoke' as it's a pretty
important part of the smoke language bindings. But as long as it ends up being
installed so people will be able to widely use it, I think that is more
important than the name.

> We should also install the various config.xml files, because they can be
>  used across projects. Anything that sits on top of kdecore can just use
>  the provided kdecore-config.xml and add options as needed.
Yes, that sounds a good idea. I've been meaning to write a blog about how to
create smoke libs, and maybe we should have something on TechBase about it.