[Kde-bindings] Qyoto for companies

Gary L. Greene Jr. greeneg at tolharadys.net
Tue Sep 25 02:26:16 UTC 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007 02:40:14 pm Richard Dale wrote:
> On Saturday 22 September 2007, Arno Rehn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems like Qyoto and Kimono are getting more and more attention:
> > http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-devel-list/2007-September/thread.h
> >tm l#24947
>
> A very interesting read - it looks like Qyoto works pretty well on Windows.
>
> > If they really want to use Qyoto in a company, we should consider some
> > dual licensing, like PyQt. Furthermore we'd need to test some builds on
> > MS Windows. That should run pretty out-of-the-box, though.
>
> Yes, I agree Qyoto would probably work very well on Microsoft Windows and
> Mac OS X compared with other 'cross platform toolkits'. But someone needs
> to pay us (ie Arno and myself) to make that happen. I can't see any point
> in giving away a commercial license for Qyoto for nothing in return. There
> are relatively few people involved in the development of Smoke, PerlQt,
> QtRuby and Qyoto, and they are all reasonable people and so I think we
> could negotiate a dual license scheme for Qyoto with them.
>
> At this years aKademy I gave my opinion to Knut Yyrvin about what I thought
> of Trolltech's relationships with Qt bindings developers. I said that we
> really aren't on their radar and they are doing nothing whatsoever. With
> partners like that, it is very hard to justify going into business based on
> developing commercial Qt bindings.
>
> -- Richard

Agreed. If I am correct in my estimation of resources for PerlQt, Smoke,
QtRuby, and Qyoto are around 4 or 5 people (there about) which are mostly
volunteers. While I'd have absolutely no problem with dual licensing, I don't
have the cash at this point to fork over for a commercial Qt license...

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth.tolharadys.net