[Kde-bindings] Qyoto for companies

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Mon Sep 24 21:40:14 UTC 2007

On Saturday 22 September 2007, Arno Rehn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems like Qyoto and Kimono are getting more and more attention:
> http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-devel-list/2007-September/thread.htm
>l#24947
A very interesting read - it looks like Qyoto works pretty well on Windows.

> If they really want to use Qyoto in a company, we should consider some dual
> licensing, like PyQt. Furthermore we'd need to test some builds on MS
> Windows. That should run pretty out-of-the-box, though.
Yes, I agree Qyoto would probably work very well on Microsoft Windows and Mac
OS X compared with other 'cross platform toolkits'. But someone needs to pay
us (ie Arno and myself) to make that happen. I can't see any point in giving
away a commercial license for Qyoto for nothing in return. There are
relatively few people involved in the development of Smoke, PerlQt, QtRuby
and Qyoto, and they are all reasonable people and so I think we could
negotiate a dual license scheme for Qyoto with them.

At this years aKademy I gave my opinion to Knut Yyrvin about what I thought of
Trolltech's relationships with Qt bindings developers. I said that we really
aren't on their radar and they are doing nothing whatsoever. With partners
like that, it is very hard to justify going into business based on developing
commercial Qt bindings.