[Kde-bindings] Kde Application becomes unresponsive

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 12:36:44 UTC 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 20:35, Han Holl wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have an application that shows photographs on the root window, and
> includes a small toolbar to go back and forward, pause, change the caption,
> and such. The application starts life in the systemtray.
>
> There are two different (?) problems:
>
> 1. At (for me) unpredictable moments the application becomes unresponsive.
> If I trace it, I see that there is heavy mouse-over activity and I can see
> the responses to mouse clicks, but signals are no longer delivered to
> slots. I can also see the timer events, every 13 seconds.
>  I have a fair amount of STDERR output running in a konsole window and
> nothing is happpening any longer in the ruby part of the program.
> Questions: what could cause a process to enter such a state ? And what can
> I do to further debug it. Is there a KDE or Qt debugging stream I could
> switch on ? This might of course well be a programmer error, but what I
> can't see is what kind of error I must make to enter such a state.
You could try switching on garbage collection or virtual method callback
tracing to see if it might be something to do with Korundum. Add this just
before calling exec on the app:

Qt::Internal::setDebug Qt::QtDebugChannel::QTDB_VIRTUAL

Qt::Internal::setDebug Qt::QtDebugChannel::QTDB_GC

Then see if there seems to be a lot of garbage collection or virtual method
callbacks during the slowdowns.

Maybe signals are no longer delivered to slots because the ruby instance with
the slots got garbage collected? It's difficult to tell without seeing the
source to see what you're doing.

> 2. The only way to quit the program is through a right click in the system
> tray icon, and then to choose quit. Occasionally I get the question:
> Are you sure you wnat to quit xxxx,
> where xxxx is completely random garbage. Nothing bad happens, but I
> wondered if it might somehow be related.
I don't know if this is a ruby problem or not. Was 'xxxx' originally defined
as a ruby String, and it got garbage collected?