[Kde-bindings] Kde Application becomes unresponsive

Han Holl han.holl at pobox.com
Sat Jan 28 20:35:52 UTC 2006

Hello

I have an application that shows photographs on the root window, and includes
a small toolbar to go back and forward, pause, change the caption, and such.
The application starts life in the systemtray.

There are two different (?) problems:

1. At (for me) unpredictable moments the application becomes unresponsive. If
I trace it, I see that there is heavy mouse-over activity and I can see the
can also see the timer events, every 13 seconds.
 I have a fair amount of STDERR output running in a konsole window and nothing
is happpening any longer in the ruby part of the program.
Questions: what could cause a process to enter such a state ? And what can I
do to further debug it. Is there a KDE or Qt debugging stream I could switch
on ? This might of course well be a programmer error, but what I can't see is
what kind of error I must make to enter such a state.

2. The only way to quit the program is through a right click in the system
tray icon, and then to choose quit. Occasionally I get the question:
Are you sure you wnat to quit xxxx,
where xxxx is completely random garbage. Nothing bad happens, but I wondered
if it might somehow be related.

Cheers,

Han Holl