[Kde-bindings] Another GC problem

Han Holl han.holl at pobox.com
Wed Oct 6 18:58:06 UTC 2004

Good evening Richard,

I've got another case where preventing ruby garbage collection helps.
But in this case there is no segfault or anything, but components that worked
fine in unit testing just stop working. Without any indication that something
may be amiss whatsoever. And some components work (sometimes), others don't.

To make it worse, the component appears on the screen, and I can type text in
it, but the stuff that is supposed to happen as a consequence just doesn't
happen.

As you can imagine, this is very frustrating for a beginning Qt programmer who
creates a lot of errors himself, and tends to doubt himself rather than the
system.
I've tried adding:
    Qt::Internal::setDebug(Qt::QtDebugChannel::QTDB_GC)
but this generates a lot of mapPointer ( ... ) messages, that are not too
meaningful for me.

If you want to look at this I can send you an archive. If you're confident
that earlier patches solve this problem as well, I'll be happy to test this
again as soon as there is a new snapshot.

Cheers,

Han Holl