[Kde-bindings] Another GC problem

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 19:12:32 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 19:58, Han Holl wrote:
> Good evening Richard,
>
> I've got another case where preventing ruby garbage collection helps.
> But in this case there is no segfault or anything, but components that
> worked fine in unit testing just stop working. Without any indication that
> something may be amiss whatsoever. And some components work (sometimes),
> others don't.
>
> To make it worse, the component appears on the screen, and I can type text
> in it, but the stuff that is supposed to happen as a consequence just
> doesn't happen.
>
> As you can imagine, this is very frustrating for a beginning Qt programmer
> who creates a lot of errors himself, and tends to doubt himself rather than
> the system.
> I've tried adding:
>     Qt::Internal::setDebug(Qt::QtDebugChannel::QTDB_GC)
> but this generates a lot of mapPointer ( ... ) messages, that are not too
> meaningful for me.
>
> If you want to look at this I can send you an archive. If you're confident
> that earlier patches solve this problem as well, I'll be happy to test this
> again as soon as there is a new snapshot.
Hi Han

All this feedback is great. So I'm keen to get a new snapshot released as soon
as possible so that you can try that and see if you have the same problems.
I've just got the Qt Designer/ColorTool tutorial example working - so I like
to get that checked into the CVS and then do a new release. Then convert the
tutorial to ruby and put it up on the KDE Developer's corner ruby bindings
site. But if you can send me an example to debug in the meantime, please do.
I've attached Qt.cpp with yesterday's fix if you'd like to try that and see
if it makes any difference.