[Kde-bindings] Re: py(Qt|KDE) and KDE CVS

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 17:10:02 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 21:50, Simon Edwards wrote:
> So what is the policy reguarding stability and compatibility? I would kind
> of expect that the bindings would have stick to similar kinds of goals as
> kdelibs. i.e. backwards compatibility through the 3.x series. Of course it
> might be a bit easier for script languages, as long as the API stays the
> same during 3.x.
With perl and ruby the Smoke library that they use is generated the library as
part of the kdebindings configure. It will generate bindings from whatever
headers you have installed. Whereas I think for PyQt/KDE you generate one
source which works for all versions, and stays backward compatible.

Although if you check the auto generated sources in the cvs, it only takes a
minor header change in kdelibs to mess it up. Then you have to try and
regenerate bindings for classes which have broken after the event, and you
got bug reports that kdebindings doesn't compile anymore. So I don't bother
with the KDE beta releases in case you have headers still changing - you
could waste time just keeping the build from breaking. I just try and get
them done a couple of weeks or so before the final version.