[Kde-bindings] Re: py(Qt|KDE) and KDE CVS

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Tue Mar 23 07:11:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 05:23 pm, Marcus wrote:
> On Monday 22 March 2004 9:09 pm, Simon Edwards wrote:
> > Conectiva 9 have kdebindings-c-devel, kdebindings-csharp-devel,
> > kdebindings-ruby-devel etc packages. And I think it makes sense for
> > bindings to be distributed not as one large tarball, but on a language by
> > language basis.
>
> As a practical matter, some distributors might not want to inflate the
number
> of packages from 1 (kdebindings) to 8 (one packager per binding/component).
> On the other hand, if I just want to play with COBOLQt, why should I have to
> install AdaKDE? (It's too bad that the packaging schemes don't permit
> selectively installing subpackages...)

The problem is not so much that you get the other bindings as well, when all
you wanted was COBOLQt, the problem is that installing kdebindings will pull
in all of the VMs, interpreters, run time libraries etc for _every_ language
and binding in kdebindings.

Building and installing kdebindings is a big task when you look at all of the
dependancies and other things that are needed to support it.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/