[Kde-bindings] RubberDoc 0.000001

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 13:37:58 UTC 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 11:43, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:14:30AM +0000, Richard Dale wrote:
> > Ah, sorry - I see what it means now. I'm keen to do a kde doc comment to
> > rdoc conversion similar to what I did for the java bindings javadoc
> > comments. I think that would be really useful in conjunction with
> > RubberDoc.
>
> yup, that would rock. what sort of time scale do you see for
> your work on this?, i'd really like to get this done for 3.2.1,
> so, maybe i could work on it?
Yes, I don't think it would take long. Just a matter of hacking the '-fjni'
kalyptus option to output ruby api/rdoc rather than java/javadoc. Less than a
week, maybe only a couple of days. It doesn't have to compile, just document
the kde api, and translate doc comment links into rdoc links with curly
brackets. We would have to 'pretend' that multiple inheritance was done via
mixins. Whenever a java interface was needed, as opposed to a class, then the
ruby docs would need a mixin.

> > Yes, a documentation browser is a really important part of the rad
> > environment, not just a demo thing really. With over 950 classes there is
> > so much stuff that you really need a tool more powerful than rbqtapi.
>
> my other todo list item is a good gui designer, and thusly
> the last missing bit of a rad environment, but the likelyhood
> of me ever getting around to writing this is minimal :)
Well, we have rbuic. I had a look to see if it handled kde classes, and it
does, in uic.cpp:

	QRegExp r("^([QK])(\\S+)");
        if( r.search( s ) != -1 )
	    s = (r.cap(1) == 'K'?"KDE::":"Qt::") + r.cap(2);
    }

But it wouldn't do a 'require Korundum', you would have to manually change
'require Qt'.

I've got about half way through porting Germain's Qt Designer plugin, so I can
put that in the cvs when the time it right. And I have a kate ruby plugin
that someone wrote for KDE 2.0, I've nearly ported it but have about four
compile errors I couldn't fix.

> > If you check everything in when it's 100% finished, you lose all the cvs
> > history which is often useful.
>
> feel free to track my arch (http://www.gnuarch.org/) repo then ;-)
>
> http://lyp.xs4all.nl:8080/+archives/tla@lypanov.net--2004-lyp.xs4all.nl-MIR
>ROR/ (the file in question is miscprogs/qtruby/RubberDoc.rb)
>
> also, when commiting i use the arch changelog as the cvs log,
> so its easy to see exactly what was changed for any given file.
OK, I won't have time to do anything until Wednesday or so this week, as I
need to sort out my accounts before the Inland Revenue shut me down :(.