[Kde-bindings] permanent URIs

Ashley Winters jahqueel at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 02:50:29 UTC 2003

--- Germain Garand <germain at ebooksfrance.org> wrote:
> Le Mercredi 10 Décembre 2003 03:02, Ashley Winters a écrit :
> > That concludes today's RDF exposition. Is my idea of rdf.kde.org
> too
> > much? Would it be worth proposing once I come up with some
> > library-specific XML files and a version of smoke to use them? :)
> >

> That sounds like a good choice to me. Eventually, you'll need to
> discuss it on
> kde-core-devel, since that's something very involving for the whole
> KDE
> project.

Eventually. I'm just testing it before a friendly audience to see how
badly I'll get ripped on k-c-d. Most RDF fanboy-docs out there are
written with airy mathematical terms using set theory and ontological
references. Bleh. It's easy to dismiss any proposal to use RDF as a
topic for a Computer Science doctoral thesis than a practical way to
implement something. I need to hone my arguments before some
sympathetic skeptics, first.

> The prospect of having documentation mapped to those, and such a
> thorough
> formal description of the API is exciting... it goes far beyond mere
> bindings
> concerns :-)

Yes. It's meant to be! See my response to Richard's message, when I get
around to composing one. :)

> Also, I'm a bit worried about the timing of your proposal... people
> are
> already entrenched in "freeze mode", and by christmas, the mailing
> lists will
> probably look like a mornfull desert. Maybe posting an introduction
> to your
> work (to kde-core) a tad before could help to open up the minds?

I don't have such a short timescale in mind. KDE-3.2 doesn't /need/
anything I have to offer -- it's already great. Nor am I asking for a
change to the KDE source-code or methodology (unless someone comes up
with a good idea for doing so). I would like to shoot for integration
with KDE-4.0 down the line (and, perhaps, to nudge Qt-4.0 far enough
into my corner to make it work REALLY well with this design).

However, it doesn't really matter to me what KDE-4.0 does or does not
use. I intend for this to be useful, to me, right now, without having
to change KDE-3.2. That means I'm going to be developing RDF documents
which may still be used in 5 years (such as my language-description of
C++ for smoke) which deserve a permanent home.

Hence, my somewhat-early proposal of having the KDE project host it.
Perhaps to even support it in some way, considering what I intend to
do.

I'll keep in mind the low traffic on the -devel lists during the
holidays, though. Probably a bad time to propose stuff.

Ashley Winters