[Kde-announce-apps] Dolphin File Manager 0.8.0
peter.penz at gmx.at
Fri Dec 22 01:50:55 CET 2006
Name: Dolphin File Manager
Depend: KDE 3.5.x
Dolphin is a file manager for KDE focusing on
usability. The main features of Dolphin are:
- Navigation bar for URLs, which allows to
navigate quickly through the file hierarchy.
- View properties are remembered for each folder.
- Split of views is supported.
- Network transparency.
- Undo/redo functionality.
- Renaming of a variable number of selected items
in one step.
Dolphin is not intended to be a competitor to
Konqueror: Konqueror acts as universal viewer
being able to show HTML pages, text documents,
directories and a lot more, whereas Dolphin
focuses on being only a file manager. This
approach allows to optimize the user interface for
the task of file management.
Dolphin is currently in beta stage, but provides
already most features for daily usage.
As Dolphin gets ported currently to KDE 4, this
release will be the last for KDE 3. See
http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de for more details.
- Provide a sidebar for accessing bookmarks and
the history. ATTENTION: old bookmarks will get
lost by the update, as the Dolphin proprietary
format has been exchanged by the XBEL standard
- Update of documentation including screenshots
- Provide a drop down menu in the navigation bar
for accessing directories (patch submitted by
Aaron J. Seigo).
- Remember view properties also for folders having
no write access (e. g. root) (patch submitted by
Aaron J. Seigo)
- Provide filter bar (patch submitted by Gregor
- Don't differ between fixed and editable
bookmarks anymore. Provide sensible defaults but
let the user decide.
- Don't show the volume space widget if the volume
space is not available.
- Minor cosmetic fixes in the navigation bar and
volume space information.
More information about the Kde-announce-apps