KDE is All About the Apps; Autumn 2021

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Nov 25 19:34:02 GMT 2021

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 6:01 PM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> At the last goals sprint we discussed having another round of meetings
> to see how we have progressed since Akademy.
> https://www.proli.net/2021/08/07/kde-is-all-about-the-apps-an-akademy-2021-recap/
>
> To do so I'd suggest meeting by platforms and see what's the state of
> the topics we discussed at Akademy.
>
> Linux: https://framadate.org/3NOgc9PCQ9j4kGkm
> Android: https://framadate.org/RiGJHdcKyx1BJ2ff
> Windows: https://framadate.org/6VMz62bs4ee7MJpo
> Mac: https://framadate.org/f4q8T3UPhHncJFzu
>
> Feel free to register yourself to the meetings you would like to
> attend. If you think something is missing, feel free to reach out.
>
> Topics to discuss:
> - State of the CI, invent.kde.org
> - Adoption of the different apps
> - Make a living position for apps
> - Whatever we left TBD in the Akademy meeting

Here's the notes for the linux talk:

- State of the CI/CD, invent.kde.org
    - CI works fine, is the one mostly ported into gitlab
    - CD (?)
        - flatpak, there's no arm builds
        - flatpak, there's duplication between binary factory and
upstream github
        - https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-tooling/-/blob/master/invent/binary-flatpak.yml
        - craft can produce appimages right now

- Adoption of the different apps
    - we don't have great stats sources for flatpak
    - we do have proper numbers for snapcraft, none of us have the access now
    - To which extent are our apps portable?

- Make a living position for apps
    - having linux applications be profitable is hard
    - how do we normalise funding development?