KDE is All About the Apps; Autumn 2021

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Nov 25 19:33:22 GMT 2021

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 6:01 PM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> At the last goals sprint we discussed having another round of meetings
> to see how we have progressed since Akademy.
> https://www.proli.net/2021/08/07/kde-is-all-about-the-apps-an-akademy-2021-recap/
>
> To do so I'd suggest meeting by platforms and see what's the state of
> the topics we discussed at Akademy.
>
> Linux: https://framadate.org/3NOgc9PCQ9j4kGkm
> Android: https://framadate.org/RiGJHdcKyx1BJ2ff
> Windows: https://framadate.org/6VMz62bs4ee7MJpo
> Mac: https://framadate.org/f4q8T3UPhHncJFzu
>
> Feel free to register yourself to the meetings you would like to
> attend. If you think something is missing, feel free to reach out.
>
> Topics to discuss:
> - State of the CI, invent.kde.org
> - Adoption of the different apps
> - Make a living position for apps
> - Whatever we left TBD in the Akademy meeting
>
> Regards,
> Aleix

Here's the notes for the KDE macOS chat:

State of the CI, invent.kde.org
    we can't do docker for mac, CI is more complex
    we can use M1 to do x86 mac things
    we are getting hardware for running the CI
    we need to see what it looks like to use craft on invent.kde.org
    TODO Dawid has seen this, act on it https://cirrus-ci.org, maybe
he can help set up binary builds for mac.
Adoption of the different apps
    Our dependency on dbus is hindering our opportunity to bloom
there. Allowing to build without for apps that want to be on mac (and
windows and Android) is necessary.
    Licensing, Dawid pointed the VLC case out. TODO Dawid will
research the state of FOSS apps in the Apple Store.
who cares for KDE on mac?
    app devs who want mac users
Chat is a bit all over the place https://phabricator.kde.org/T15044mayb
App devs are not entirely aware of the state of app signing