Help with KMag Pull Request

Christoph Feck cfeck at kde.org
Thu Mar 14 00:44:15 GMT 2019

Hello Renato,

On 03/12/19 12:46, Renato Resende Ribeiro de Oliveira wrote:
> For a while I asked in the forums, bug trackers and here if someone
> responsible for the KMag code could insert the "Top Screen Mode" (available
> on KMag 3) again on the v4+ of the software.
> Unfortunately this piece of code was lost during the past years (since KDE
> 4 release and KMag migration for that).

(Not so) fun fact: The code only got lost because commits for KDE 3.5
were never merged back to the master branch. It might be worth checking
which changes from "git diff v3.4.90..v3.5.10" could be reapplied on
the current code base.

> I just did a fork of the official repository and implemented the core of
> this functionality on the current codebase.

Thanks for your work! Could you summarize the reasons why neither of
the available KWin zoom/magnifier/looking glass effects is sufficient?
They have the benefit of being able to zoom the complete screen area,
what the window-based KMag cannot do. KMag also lacks Wayland support.

> I want to open a PR so that awesome functionality would be available again.
> The problem is I don't know some parts of the KF5 behavior, like how to add
> new icons, how to add an action to the menus, and so on.

I suggest to ask specific questions about KF5 on the kde-devel list or
in #kde-devel IRC channel. I hope you already found the Qt5 and KF5 API
pages.

If you need new icons, KDE's visual design group can be found in
#kde-vdg channel. They can propose an icon name and suggest a fallback
icon until a new icon is available.

--
Christoph Feck