Help with KMag Pull Request

Renato Resende Ribeiro de Oliveira renatorro at comp.ufla.br
Thu Mar 14 00:17:11 GMT 2019

Hi Christoph.

Thank you for all this information.

Em qua, 13 de mar de 2019 às 17:43, Christoph Feck <cfeck at kde.org> escreveu:

> Hello Renato,
>
> On 03/12/19 12:46, Renato Resende Ribeiro de Oliveira wrote:
> > For a while I asked in the forums, bug trackers and here if someone
> > responsible for the KMag code could insert the "Top Screen Mode"
> (available
> > on KMag 3) again on the v4+ of the software.
> > Unfortunately this piece of code was lost during the past years (since
> KDE
> > 4 release and KMag migration for that).
>
> (Not so) fun fact: The code only got lost because commits for KDE 3.5
> were never merged back to the master branch. It might be worth checking
> which changes from "git diff v3.4.90..v3.5.10" could be reapplied on
> the current code base.

I don't think this is yet possible since the APIs that were used at that
time changed considerably.
Indeed my change were based on the 3.5 code. So I kinda doing that work
right? :)

> > I just did a fork of the official repository and implemented the core of
> > this functionality on the current codebase.
>
> Thanks for your work! Could you summarize the reasons why neither of
> the available KWin zoom/magnifier/looking glass effects is sufficient?
> They have the benefit of being able to zoom the complete screen area,
> what the window-based KMag cannot do. KMag also lacks Wayland support.

Sure. I use KMag as a magnifier due to my low vision. I use it at a
magnifying level of 1.7.
I dock it on the top of the screen so I avoid any UI to be under it (like
maximized windows) and make it follow the mouse cursor and the keyboard
focus.
That way I can still look at a fixed region of the screen to see magnified
content but with the same usability of a normal user (since the rest of the
screen is untouched)
Let's just say that it is a better user experience for my daily high
magnified usage.
The magnifier app for Windows and the one for Mac both have this feature
built-in. So I think it will be a nice addin for the KMag features.
For the Wayland I don't know what is that but since I will be working on
the I can implement this support if you give me some guidance on what needs
to be done.

> > I want to open a PR so that awesome functionality would be available
> again.
> > The problem is I don't know some parts of the KF5 behavior, like how to
> add
> > new icons, how to add an action to the menus, and so on.
>
> I suggest to ask specific questions about KF5 on the kde-devel list or
> in #kde-devel IRC channel. I hope you already found the Qt5 and KF5 API
> pages.
>
> If you need new icons, KDE's visual design group can be found in
> #kde-vdg channel. They can propose an icon name and suggest a fallback
> icon until a new icon is available.

 This is on Freenode right? I will reach them there so.

--
*Renato Resende Ribeiro de Oliveira*
Senior Software Engineer @ Edvisor.io <https://edvisor.io/>

Skype: renatorro.comp.ufla.br