[Kde-accessibility] GSoC Mentor Qualifications

Peter Grasch grasch at simon-listens.org
Wed Feb 29 09:02:25 UTC 2012

Hi!

Am Dienstag, 28. Februar 2012, 10:04:28 schrieb Robert cole:
> I was just curious as to what the qualifications are for someone to be a
> mentor for GSoC as far as KDE-related projects are concerned.
>
> Unfortunately, I have very little programming experience. At this point
> I guess you could say that I am at the user end of the spectrum. I rely
> completely on screen readers and screen magnification, so I use both of
> these technologies extensively.
>
> Even if I would not meet the qualifications for a mentor position, I
> would be more than willing to give input or to test if that would be
> helpful.
I think it's great that you are stepping up and offering your help!

Especially in the field of accessibility there is a lot to gain from a (co-)
mentor that knows about the real needs of the prospective end-users. See also
Lydias blog post about the topic if you haven't already read it:
http://blog.lydiapintscher.de/2012/02/10/accessibility-co-mentors-needed-for-
gsoc/

Because GSoC projects usually have a large programming part to them, I'd
suggest to team up with an experienced programer and co-mentor a project.

There's already a list of ideas on KDEs ideas page:
http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2012/Ideas#KDE_Accessibility

Each idea also has a field for suggested mentors. If you like a proposal I'd
suggest you get in touch with it's mentor about helping out - I'm sure they'd
appreciate it!

Best regards,
Peter