[Kde-accessibility] Mouse Scaling in KWin's Zoom Effecdt

Robert Cole rkcole72984 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 00:24:58 UTC 2011

Hello, everyone.

I am testing out openSUSE 12.1 in a virtual machine using VirtualBox
today. I decided to test out the Zoom effect of KWin to see how it
worked, as it is quite jumpy on my primary Linux Mint 11 machine. I was
amazed at how smooth the screen panned around while it was zoomed, and
this being in a virtual machine! My main reason for writing this
message, however, is that I found that the mouse pointer does not scale
(at least in the virtual machine) when zoomed in.

According to the settings for the Zoom feature, scaling is enabled.  To
Access the settings, do the following:

1. Open the KMenu.
2. Open the System Settings window (the option to open mine was found
under the Favorites section).
3. In the Workspace Appearance and Behavior section of the System
Settings window, click the Desktop Effects icon.
4. In the Desktop Effects dialog, click on the All Effects tab.
5. Under the Accessibility category on the list of effects, click the
wrench icon to the right of the Zoom listing to access the settings for
the Zoom feature.

You should be able to press Meta+Plus (as in the plus symbol on the top
(number) row on a standard QWERTY keyboard; the number pad Plus key did
not work for me) to zoom in. Meta+Minus will zoom out. alternatively,
Meta+0 will restore the desktop to the original size.

Mine was set by default to Scale.

On my primary Linux Mint 11 machine (on which I installed the
kde-standard package as it had GNOME by default), the mouse pointer does
scale when zoomed, but panning is VERY jumpy.

Could the scaling be a virtual machine issue?

Thanks for any help. I am very grateful for all of the work being put
into the KDE project. I am loving it!!