[Kde-accessibility] Re: qt accessibility

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 07:26:25 CET 2011

Thanks for asking the question I've had, Ian.

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Ian Ruffell <ian at ruffell.info> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 Feb 2011 22:19:02 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
>> Kenny,  Others,
>>
>> There is already some code started that aims to do just this.  It's
>> qt-at-spi and can be found here: http://gitorious.org/qt-at-spi/qt-at-spi
>> In order to use it you'll need to grab trunk at-spi2-core, pyatspi2,
>> accerciser and orca from git.gnome.org.  Then build qt-at-spi and run
>> test/test with accerciser.  Frederik gladhorn and I have been able to get
>> simple things working (not enough to work with orca yet) and we can be
>> found on either #a11y on irc.gimp.net or #kde-accessibility on freenode if
>> you need/want help getting started.
>
> Just to follow up on this, I've been lurking for a while in these parts, but
> can I ask what exactly *is* the status of KDE accessibility? Aside from the
> instructions on building qt-at-spi (which are very clear and helpful; but
> where next?), the various websites seem somewhat out of date or unclear as to
> where matters stand currently.

I've also been looking around, and finding not much.

> Am I right in thinking that (at least with regard to visual impairment) the
> main plan is to enable KDE apps to interact with orca through qt-at-spi, but
> that at the moment no KDE apps are enabled thus? Is there a workplan, as such,
> for this or KDE Accessibility in general?
>
> No criticism intended - just interested in things moving forwards (and should
> be able to help out, although not in a big way for a couple of months).
>
> Cheers
>
> Ian

I have a few friends involved in the Ubuntu Accessibility team, and
Canonical has signaled their committment to bringing Ubuntu
accessibility up to the same standard of excellence they are demanding
of the rest of the desktop. Of course many of these improvements will
be making their way into Gnome.

Do we have any equivalent push? Accessibility will become increasingly
important as KDE is considered by non-profits, governments, schools
and other public entities. How well will we be able to compete?

Valorie

--
http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.com
Last.fm, Facebook, Twitter, Identica, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez