[Kde-accessibility] how blue must blue be for blue-on-yellow color scheme?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 29 17:29:48 CET 2008

Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> I also believe we should add a few well-looking colour schemes that are
> typical for the kind of choices many partially sighted users make.

Snipping your detailed comments (thanks!), have you seen the Zion
schemes? (They are installed by kdeaccessibility.) These were meant to
be ports of the black/white high contrast schemes (admitedly, with a bit
more color; it sounds like for 4.1 maybe I should tone down the
difference of the various "extra" roles versus normal?).

I guess we are missing the low-contrast scheme. (I wonder, wouldn't it
make more sense to turn down the monitor brightness? Not that I'm
against making one as such, but it seems like monitor fiddling would
help with e.g. images as well.)

> I also like the idea of including a colour scheme for people with
> two-dimensional colour perception (i.e. red-green or yellow-blue colour
> blindness). These users perceive every colour as identical to some shade of
> red, blue, gray, black or white. That means that we could design
>
> e) a colour scheme that uses the same tone of red (#FF0000), blue (#0000FF)
> and grey (#808080) with different brightness and saturation.

Yes, that's exactly what I was aiming for with Olympus (in fact, that's
what got me started with color-blindness simulation; I wanted to apply
said simulation to Olympus). It would be ideal I think to get comments
from someone that actually is a dichromat, otherwise I'm rather guessing.

> The best strategy is probably to post screenshots of the new colour schemes to
> this list, so that we can try to get them evaluated by readers are (or who
> have access to) partially-sighted people.

Right. So, got anyone that can comment on [1]? Also, the Zion schemes
can be seen at [2] ([3] and [4], specifically). Again, ignore the
progress bar, those colors are known to be screwed up :-). Oxygen also
is not the best style for maintaining a very dark background; Zion
Reversed would be much more "black" in a different style.

1: http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3632/olympusrh8.png
2: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Oxygen/ColorSchemes
3: http://techbase.kde.org/images/5/5d/SchemeZion.png
4: http://techbase.kde.org/images/8/8d/SchemeZionReversed.png

--
Matthew
Microsoft: driving people fscking insane...