[Kde-accessibility] how blue must blue be for blue-on-yellow color scheme?

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Sat Jan 26 18:46:02 CET 2008

Hi!

My experience with partially sighted people is that no two users are the same,
so we need to make it really easy for the users to customise the colour
schemes.

I also believe we should add a few well-looking colour schemes that are
typical for the kind of choices many partially sighted users make.

I have met people who need:
a) a high contrast colour scheme with dark text on a light background (i.e.
white-on-black, plus other very dark forground colours and very light
background colours) for users that do not see things with too few contrast

b) a medium contrast colour scheme with pale light colours on a very dark
background (e.g. grey-on-black, plus other pale light forground colours and
very dark background colours) for users that are dazzled by even small bright
areas and who do not see things with too few contrast

c) a high contrast colour scheme with very intense light colours on a very
dark background (e.g. bright-yellow-on-black, plus other very bright
forground colours and very dark background colours) for users that are
dazzled by large bright areas and who do not see things with too few contrast

d) some users prefer the same as c) with simple white-on-black instead of
light-yellow-on-black

I also like the idea of including a colour scheme for people with
two-dimensional colour perception (i.e. red-green or yellow-blue colour
blindness). These users perceive every colour as identical to some shade of
red, blue, gray, black or white. That means that we could design

e) a colour scheme that uses the same tone of red (#FF0000), blue (#0000FF)
and grey (#808080) with different brightness and saturation.

I am sure that all five colour schemes can be made well-looking even for
normally sighted users. It is mainly important that the colour schemes are
consistent in their colour choices (e.g. no inverted colours for selected
text, and no intense colours in the pale-on-dark colour scheme).

The best strategy is probably to post screenshots of the new colour schemes to
this list, so that we can try to get them evaluated by readers are (or who
have access to) partially-sighted people.

Olaf