[Kde-accessibility] Text to Speech problems

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:39:44 CEST 2007

On 18/10/2007, Jeremy <jeremy at scitools.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 18 October 2007 14:54:16 Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > > Settings -> Regional & Accessibility -> Text to Speech
> > >
> > > easiest is to set it to speak notifications from the notifications tab.
> > > I set mine to speak Konversation messages so I can listen to irc while
> > > working, etc.  You can choose the voices in the talkers tab.
> > >
> > > Of course all of this is assuming you are meaning kde3, I'm not  sure
> > > what the state of kttsd is in kde4 svn or betas.
> >
> > Thanks. I did configure it in the Kcontrol dialog that you mention.
> > However, there is only one voice (American male) there. I'd like a
> > nice Swedish or Spanish female, if theres a choice. :) Seriously,
> > though, I'd like to try some more soothing voices. Where can I
> > download them from?
>
> You can download other voices from festival website.
>
> I followed this guide
> http://huevon.blogspot.com/2006/01/tts-text-to-speech-usando-festival-y.html
> even though it's in spanish, the commands work and will get you a festival
> with the voices you install from the website.
>
> > With the exception of the test feature, which informs me that the
> > program appears to be functioning properly, I cannot activate voice
> > anywhere. Even Kmouth does not speak. And I don't see _how_ to get
> > other programs, like Konqueror for instance, to speak the text of the
> > screen. How is that done?
>
> In Konq, there should be a Tools-> Speak Text option
>
> Jeremy

Thanks. The British English male, American Female, and both Hebrew
voices are interesting. I do not see from where to download them. I
tried at http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola.html but it was not
clear if some of the packages were different, or copies packaged by
different people. Could you help me determine what packages to
download? Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il