[Kde-accessibility] Text to Speech problems

Jeremy jeremy at scitools.com
Thu Oct 18 23:17:00 CEST 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007 14:54:16 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 18/10/2007, Jeremy <jeremy at scitools.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 October 2007 14:23:13 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > How does one actuate the text to speech function of KDE? The only way
> > > that I see is to copy text to Kmouth. Can other KDE apps perform this
> > > function? How about non-KDE apps, such as Firefox and Open Office?
> > >
> > > Note that the speech test in Kcontrol works, but Kmouth is silent for
> > > me. How can I troubleshoot it? Also, how can I add different voices?
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Settings -> Regional & Accessibility -> Text to Speech
> >
> > easiest is to set it to speak notifications from the notifications tab.
> > I set mine to speak Konversation messages so I can listen to irc while
> > working, etc.  You can choose the voices in the talkers tab.
> >
> > Of course all of this is assuming you are meaning kde3, I'm not  sure
> > what the state of kttsd is in kde4 svn or betas.
>
> Thanks. I did configure it in the Kcontrol dialog that you mention.
> However, there is only one voice (American male) there. I'd like a
> nice Swedish or Spanish female, if theres a choice. :) Seriously,
> though, I'd like to try some more soothing voices. Where can I
> download them from?

You can download other voices from festival website.

I followed this guide
http://huevon.blogspot.com/2006/01/tts-text-to-speech-usando-festival-y.html
even though it's in spanish, the commands work and will get you a festival
with the voices you install from the website.

> With the exception of the test feature, which informs me that the
> program appears to be functioning properly, I cannot activate voice
> anywhere. Even Kmouth does not speak. And I don't see _how_ to get
> other programs, like Konqueror for instance, to speak the text of the
> screen. How is that done?

In Konq, there should be a Tools-> Speak Text option

Jeremy