[Kde-accessibility] KDE access utility tool has disabled my keyboard

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Fri Dec 14 21:19:29 CET 2007

Hi!

Thanks for your email.

You can return your keyboard to normal operation by starting kcontrol, going
to "Regional & Accessibility" > "Accessibility", and making sure that all
checkboxes in the tabs "Modifier Keys", "Keyboard Filters" and "Activation
Gestures" are unchecked.

You can also delete (or rename) $HOME/.kde/share/kaccess.rc to restore your
system to default values.

From your report it sounds as if somehow the "Slow keys" function was
activated through that keyboard gesture. This is a function needed by some
users with disabilities and means that you need to press each key a few
seconds before the key press is registered.

I do not know why clicking "Deactivate all AccessX gestures and functions" did
not work for you. It always worked for every KDE version I used. I just
tested again with KDE 3.5.8.

Perhaps this is a bug in the X11 library installed on you computer (which is
unrelated to KDE). Perhaps one of the non-KDE applications used by you
interfered. (In this case you might also have to restore the equivalent GNOME
settings, but fortunately this is very unlikely.) Perhaps it is a
distribution-specific bug not present in the original KDE code. I do not
know. I can only say that this is not KDE's normal behaviour.

For one of the next KDE versions, we plan to have a big warning applet shown
whenever any of the AccessX features is activated. This applet would then
allow to quickly switch off everything AccessX related.

Olaf Schmidt