[Kde-accessibility] OpenOffice and KDE4 Accessiibilty [was: Orca/KDE Integration]

Éric Bischoff ebischoff at nerim.net
Fri Sep 8 18:08:38 CEST 2006

Le Vendredi 8 Septembre 2006 17:35, Bill Haneman a écrit :
> Eric:
>
> Sorry, but I felt that it was you who adopted a "harsh tone" first.

I'm sorry if you felt offended by my remark about my not installing products
with pango dependancy. I hesitated before writing down that remark, but I
thought it would be understood if I described that GNOME users would do
exactly the same for products with kdelibs dependancy.

I'm sorry if you felt offended by my saying that GObject is bad design. I do
think that though, and I can explain you why, if you are interested. [And
while I am at it: It is possible to write a good C++ library that exports a C
API. GObject is no fatality.]

I'm sorry if you felt offended that I said that Java brings problems. I'm not
the only one who thinks that, but I realize it must be hard to hear when you
have an address ending in "@sun.com" ;-). [In fact, Java rocks! I love Java.
What is wrong IMHO is to make other massively distributed products like OOo
depend on Java.]

I am sorry if you felt I had a harsh tone for any other reason I cannot think
of right now.

But let me describe the way you speak to people:

First, you doubt my understanding. You make very wrong assumptions about my
criticizing ATK, while I did not even mention ATK in my message.

Second, you doubt my honesty. You make very wrong assumptions about my
inventing arguments. I had verified that there was at least one 3rd level
dependancy before writing that. [Although now I look at it with more detail,
I realize that you are right, in the case of ATK, the set of dependant
packages gets closed rather quickly. Especially without pango].

I can ensure you that if I have sounded harsh, it was not intentional. I have
a few ideas about good sofware design, and sometimes I express them with too
much conviction. But I do not make assumptions about other people's thoughts,
intelligence, or honesty. Please do stop making assumptions, and life will be
much easier.

> I think my previous message should put the question of dependencies to
> rest, as there is only the glib/gobject one.

It was my point in my previous message, yes. That whole thing seems to boils
down to the GObject question.

If we are to reach the same technical conclusions, why can't we have a
peaceful, technical, discussion?

> I apologize for starting
> the confusion about pango by forgetting that the trivial dependency had
> already been removed.

I also wanted to say that you mentioned pango first, but since you do it
here... ;-)

--
La monoculture informatique fragilise le système d'information, elle est aussi
toxique pour les données de l'entreprise. (Guy Brand)