[Kde-accessibility] Text-to-Speech from OOo and Browsers

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Fri Sep 1 20:02:01 CEST 2006

On Friday 01 September 2006 09:31, Willie Walker wrote:
> Related to the speech question, Orca currently uses the gnome-speech
> system, which provides a service-based approach to accessing speech
> synthesis engines.  Orca v1.0 will be shipping with GNOME 2.16 next
> week.  As soon as GNOME 2.16 is out the door, we will be looking at
> future support for things such as SpeechDispatcher.  I believe the
> ultimate goals include providing a system-wide service for speech that
> can be simultaneously used by different applications and works well
> across things such as GNOME and KDE.  This would permit both the "self
> voicing" and assistive technology camps to play well together on the
> same machine.
>
> Will

Full ack on what Will said.  I would add that my plan for KTTS in KDE 4 is
also to migrate to the Speech Dispatcher backend.  There are a few changes
needed to SD before we can do that, but I expect that to happen in the not
too distant future.
http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/roadmap.html

I also echo Olaf's comment that assistive technology speech and
application-specific speech are not mutually exclusive.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer