[Kde-accessibility] Text-to-Speech from OOo and Browsers

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Fri Sep 1 18:24:10 CEST 2006

Hi Willie!

Thanks for your extensive and well-worded summary.

I agree that it is necessary to have cooperation between screen readers and
self-voicing applications, I am glad to hear that you also plan to support
SpeechDispatcher.

We cannot implement speech support in every applications, so screen readers
are extremely important to have. At the same time, some users prefer
self-voicing applications because screen readers by their nature lack GUI
integration with the applications. I don't see this as an either/or - we need
both.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of