[Kde-accessibility] OpenOffice and KDE4 Accessiibilty [was: Orca/KDE Integration]

Éric Bischoff ebischoff at nerim.net
Fri Sep 1 18:44:22 CEST 2006

1) Using KDE's colours
======================

> > I'm not sure about what you are referring to.
>
> See the lineal between toolbar and text, and on the left side of the text.
> There you have black numbers on a dark blue background, which would be
> black on black with a different colour scheme. OpenOffice should use
> "window background"/"window text" for the parts with blue background in
> your screenshot, and "standard background"/"standard text" for the parts
> with white background.

I do not understand the word "lineal". I don't understand to which screenshot
you are referring to.

Sorry for sounding dumb. Perharps you can do a screenshot and put a red circle
around the interestesting region, so I understand what we are talking about ?

> > What do you call "the text itself" ? The document ?

You did not answer that question.

> > Yes it's a generic
> > choice in OpenOffice.org, if the user wants a text with blue background
> > and yellow letters he has to choose that independantly, on a document per
> > document basis. Is that correct, Oliver ?
>
> Oliver mentioned the setting in Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org -
> Appearance, with "Automatic" meaning "take this setting from the desktop",
> i.e. "Standard Text"/"Standard Background", which is normally Black on
> White.

All the settings there apply to OOo itself, not to the documents it handles.

2) Monochrome icons
===================

> > Can I get confirmation from Danny Allen he volunteers for that? I am not
> > subscribed to kde-accessibility.
>
> Sure, I will ask him.

OK

3) Keyboard issues
==================

> > I'm wondering if that is not that one of the things for which Qt4 is
> > needed...?
>
> No, that is totally independent of any desktop integration work. Just some
> general accessibility checkpoints.

OK. Not in the scope of our discussion then.

4) Text to speech
=================

> > Again : Oliver ?
> >
> > (sorry to be such an ignorant)
>
> I am sure there is no existing function in OpenOffice, so unless someone is
> interested in adding it to OpenOffice, you can skip this point.

OK. As I said, someone spoke about that on the dev mailing list today, but I
did not even read the message.

> 5) KDE 3 or 4 ?
> ===============
>
> Yes, I totally agree. I just meant that at some point, someone will
> hopefully port Qt NWF (http://kde.openoffice.org/nwf/ ) to Qt 4, or even
> better to implement KDE vclplug for Qt 4 (http://kde.openoffice.org/ooo-qt/
> ). The latter would be ideal for KDE4 integration (and needed to use Qt
> Accessibility).

Yes.

> Indeed. You cannot start work on KDE4 integration before KDE4 is ready.
> But NWF and vclplug should be technically independent of the other KDE
> integration stuff.

There's no KDE in NWF and vclplug ? Only Qt ? If yes then it can start right
now.

6) Fonts
=========

> > Yes, it already works. Nothing to do on this one. See
> >       http://opensource.bureau-cornavin.com/settings/big.png
>
> Great.

Okay, if I sum up what we have been saying, all that we can start in a short
term is
2) Monochrome icons
   (some info from Oliver needed though, but I think I can take this one)
   and
5) Switch to Qt4 for NWF
   (a huge task, this one is probably for Kendy).

3), 4) and 6) are out of scope. Perharps there's something to do about 1), but
I need to understand the problem first.

And on the long run, there's of course the Qt accessibility bridge to write.

--
La monoculture informatique fragilise le système d'information, elle est aussi
toxique pour les données de l'entreprise. (Guy Brand)