[Kde-accessibility] Accessible objects without Atk dependencies

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Thu Mar 30 11:08:23 CEST 2006

I'll let George speak for himself, of course, but my thought is that the
KDE ATs can (should?) choose between the following in the short term:

1) use the existing CSPI bindings and link to libspi/libcspi (pulling in
the GNOME stuff in anticipation that the dependencies incurred will be
reduced over time - and help us reduce them).  This would make the "KDE"
ATs use the shared backend when we as a community are ready to migrate,
or an alternate backend when one is available); or

2) use the AT-SPI python bindings, or have KDE AT developers write in
Python.

The above solutions mean that explicit GNOME API is kept out of the KDE
ATs, and the GNOME libs are only pulled in through linking.  With some
clever use of dynamic loading or module preloading the dependencies
could be made entirely runtime-optional.

I really think that writing an "at-spi lookalike", or KDE-flavored
bindings to an incompatible AT-SPI communications protocol, which would
then require some kind of runtime proxying, is a poor use of resources.
It would require a lot of proxying/wrapping and at least one new daemon
to relay information bidiretionally between AT-SPI/CORBA and
AT-SPI-CLONE/DBUS; it's not the best way to ensure interoperability.

Of the two options, the python approach looks cleaner to me.  Python
experts may have more information on how to make the pyORBit AT-SPI code
"runtime loadable" (since I know .py modules can be dynamically loaded
with dynamic runtime resolution of symbols); it may be that this can be
done pretty easily without introducing any hard dependencies into the
KDEAccessibility linking process, or introducing gnome-specific client
API into the KDE apps.

regards

Bill