[Kde-accessibility] [Kde-hci] making fallback access keys configurable

Thomas Zander zander32 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 00:29:33 CET 2006

On Saturday 04 March 2006 02:35, Bill Haneman wrote:
> To clarify my earlier comment, the reason I implied that F8 was being
> suggested as a "modifier" here is twofold.  One, I assumed (perhaps
> wrongly) that in the absence of StickyKeys, the Control key (which is
> normally understood to be a modifier key) was resulting in the access
> keys appearing only while Control was pressed down.  If the Control key
> is being used as a "toggle", i.e. "press/release" of control turns
> Access Keys on and off, then I would suggest that this violates the
> usual user expectation of how modifier keys like Control, Alt, and
> Shift work, and therefore is a dubious idea.

This is indeed the core of the usability problem; as I explained here
some time ago;
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1569

It would be great if _all_ *nix applications/environments would follow
one standard, but if its a bad standard (from a usability POV) I will
surely advice the hci group to use a better one. Using F8 already
seems better.

--
Thomas Zander