[Kde-accessibility] KTTS News

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Mon Jan 31 00:52:10 CET 2005

Dnia niedziela, 30 stycznia 2005 23:17, Olaf Schmidt napisał:
> [Mikolaj Machowski, Sonntag, 30. Januar 2005 21:05]
>
> > Already send a mail to them about changing that to 'Speak Text'.
> >
> > Similar problems noticed in KMouth. KSayIt behaves properly.
>
> KMouth has a different purpose. It is not for reading (and navigating
> through) longer texts, but it enables people with speech impairments to
> let the computer talk for them. These messages must interrupt longer
> texts, because a user might wish to comment on a text that is currently
> being read out.

OK. But still this doesn't allow them to use shortcuts. If they are
older people or people with other disabilities not allowing them to use
filters for convenience is major obstacle.

Of course we may assume that if they are in such condition they need
shortcut
1111 -> could you give me some water?

they are also not able to configure system for themselves. But it should
be possible for not-very technical assistants to do that for them.

I know you had more personal experience but I also had contacts with
people after strokes(? - not sure about proper termin) and they had
problems not only with speech but also with precise movements.

> > OK. But in scripts (and in shell in general) it looks weird:
> > dcop kttsd KSpeech startText `dcop kttsd KSpeech setText "this is it"
> > ""`
>
> Hm. This could maybe be solved by adding a sayText convenience function.

That would be perfect.

m.

Vim Universal Templates
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net