[Kde-accessibility] KTTS News

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Sun Jan 30 23:17:32 CET 2005

[Mikolaj Machowski, Sonntag, 30. Januar 2005 21:05]
> Already send a mail to them about changing that to 'Speak Text'.
>
> Similar problems noticed in KMouth. KSayIt behaves properly.

KMouth has a different purpose. It is not for reading (and navigating
through) longer texts, but it enables people with speech impairments to
let the computer talk for them. These messages must interrupt longer
texts, because a user might wish to comment on a text that is currently
being read out.

This is why we have both KSayIt and KMouth in kdeaccessibility.

> OK. But in scripts (and in shell in general) it looks weird:
> dcop kttsd KSpeech startText `dcop kttsd KSpeech setText "this is it"
> ""`

Hm. This could maybe be solved by adding a sayText convenience function.

> > Because Screen Reader Output, Messages and Warnings are
> > high-priority, they do not go through filters, not even for sentence
> > boundary detection.  It is assumed that they will be short and
> > already properly "filtered" by the application.  The only exception
> > is KNotify messages.

No, Pupeno originally added the sayMessage function because KMouth needed
it. I agree that as a general rule, all applications should use the
KNotify framework rather than the direct sayMessage call whereever
possible to improve consistency. But there are exceptions to this rule,
like KMouth.

Olaf
--
KDE Accessibility Project