[Kde-accessibility] KTTS News

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Mon Jan 31 13:11:00 CET 2005

[Mikolaj Machowski, Montag, 31. Januar 2005 00:52]
> OK. But still this doesn't allow them to use shortcuts. If they are
> older people or people with other disabilities not allowing them to use
> filters for convenience is major obstacle.

I agree. It would be nice if ktts allowed to apply the filters to messages
and warnings, too. Even for the normal knotify messages filters could be
useful, if you wish to enhance names with SSML markup that includes the
correct pronunciation.

> Of course we may assume that if they are in such condition they need
> shortcut
> 1111 -> could you give me some water?
>
> they are also not able to configure system for themselves. But it
> should be possible for not-very technical assistants to do that for
> them.

We added the phrasebooks to KMouth for this purpose, where a key or key
combination can be assigned to each of the phrases. This is even easier
than writing filters.

> I know you had more personal experience but I also had contacts with
> people after strokes(? - not sure about proper termin) and they had
> problems not only with speech but also with precise movements.

Yes, our mother had similar problems. This is why we are very happy that
from KDE 4 onwards, KMouth will be able to fully cooperate with GOK via
AT-SPI.

Olaf

--
KDE Accessibility Project