[Kde-accessibility] Re: [kopete-devel] Speech Plugin

Duncan Mac-Vicar P. duncan at kde.org
Mon Jan 3 19:41:49 CET 2005

On Monday 03 January 2005 12:29, Mauricio Bahamonde wrote:
> Hi,
>  A few days ago, Duncan told me about bug:95529 and asked me if I would
> like to try to make a plugin for that because it was relatively simple to
> do. As i'm new to KDE Development, I agreed because it would be a great
> oportunity to learn more and get more involved in KDE, so I started writing
> it, and I think I had success, the plugin does what it's expected to do, no
> more, no less ;-)
> Well, the plugin basically "Speaks the incoming messages" through KTTSD, so
> you can be working and not paying attention to kopete, and if you receive a
> message, you will hear it through your speakers ;-) I think it may be
> useful too for disabled people.
>
> For this plugin to work, you need:
> - A speech synthesis engine (Like festival)
> - Recent kdelibs from CVS HEAD
> - kde-accessibility module
>
> I think that's the minimium requirements. You can check
> http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/index.php for more info.
>
> Once kttsd is working, the plugin should work with no problems.
> You can find the plugin at http://ktown.kde.cl/~elkrammer/kde/speech.tar.gz
> Untar that file in kdenetwork/kopete/plugins, it should create a
> subdirectory called speech.
> Then edit kdenetwork/kopete/plugins/Makefile.am and in the SUBDIRS line,
> add "speech" without quotes. Well, I guess you guys know this better than
> me ;-)
>
> Please, give me feedback on this.
>
> Greetings,

First, congrats on your success. I examined the code and I have no
observations, you used standard Kopete license headers, indentation, and the
code is clear.
I wonder now (and thats why I am CCing other lists) if this should be commited
to kdeaccesibility/kopete-plugins or just to kopete/plugins. Can I commit it
and leave it disabled for compilation (Since it is not in the feature list),
or I just *can't* commit it until KDE 3.4 is released?

/me waits for comments

Duncan