[Kde-accessibility] Some AT-SPI questions

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Fri Dec 16 08:05:53 CET 2005

Hi Leo!

Leo Spalteholz:
> I've been looking into AT-SPI lately,

Great!

> and have some (very basic) questions about writing an accessibility client
> that gathers information from AT-SPI compliant applications (much like GOK).

It is possible to talk AT-SPI directly, but this has the disadvantage that it
will be more difficult to bridge once we move AT-SPI from CORBA to DBUS.

Most Gnome assistive technologies currently use libcspi for accessing AT-SPI,
and our plan is to provide a similar KDE-style library later. On the
application side, all applications currently use either atk or the Java
Accessibility bridge. This has the advantage that it is easy to switch the
underlying RPC mechanism as long the API is the same.

Our plan is too move AT-SPI onto DBUS once the DBUS code is in the repository
for the KDE4 development version. This will probably also be the time when we
start to work on the KDE equivalent to libcspi, but it might take a while to
write all the necessary bridges to the CORBA version.

I don't know how much time I will find to work on this, so if you wish to help
us with this, then you are highly welcome to do so. Please contact Harald
Fernengel if you have more questions regarding AT-SPI in KDE4.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of