[Kde-accessibility] Some AT-SPI questions

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Fri Dec 16 09:01:59 CET 2005

Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:

>Hi Leo!
>
>Leo Spalteholz:
>

>>I've been looking into AT-SPI lately,
>>

>Great!
>

>>and have some (very basic) questions about writing an accessibility client
>>that gathers information from AT-SPI compliant applications (much like GOK).
>>

>It is possible to talk AT-SPI directly, but this has the disadvantage that it
>will be more difficult to bridge once we move AT-SPI from CORBA to DBUS.

I must disagree strongly.  AT-SPI is THE client interface for our
accessibility infrastructure.

I do not recommend using cspi, especially if you are not writing pure
C/GObject based applications.

>Most Gnome assistive technologies currently use libcspi for accessing AT-SPI,
>and our plan is to provide a similar KDE-style library later. On the
>application side, all applications currently use either atk or the Java
>Accessibility bridge. This has the advantage that it is easy to switch the
>underlying RPC mechanism as long the API is the same.
>
>Our plan is too move AT-SPI onto DBUS once the DBUS code is in the repository
>for the KDE4 development version. This will probably also be the time when we
>start to work on the KDE equivalent to libcspi, but it might take a while to
>write all the necessary bridges to the CORBA version.

The correct way to proceed here is to move the Bonobo/ORBit2 back-end to
use DBUS as the communications/wire protocol, or to provide an IDL
compiler which generates the equivalent client stubs for AT-SPI which
the AT-SPI client can link to.

The agreed-upon plan going forward anticipates that multiple back-ends
for AT-SPI are to be developed, but the client interface will continue
to be AT-SPI.

Best regards,

Bill